Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Michael Gunzburg, P.C. New York City Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Free Initial Consultation
  • ~
  • Call Today!

NYPD Car Accident Lawyer

New York City police officers have a difficult and often thankless job. At the same time, they are still human beings who make mistakes. Unfortunately, some of those mistakes lead to car accidents involving their official police vehicles.

Like any employer, New York City can be held vicariously liable for car accidents caused by their employees who were acting within the course and scope of their employment. But suing the city involves following special rules that do not apply to private employers. This is where working with an experienced NYPD car accident lawyer can help to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. Michael Gunzburg, P.C., is a New York personal injury law firm with 37 years of experience in helping accident victims throughout the city seek justice.

How Do You Sue the NYPD Following a Car Accident?

The most important thing to remember if you are struck by a NYPD vehicle is that time is not on your side. This is because you have just 90 days from the date of your NYPD car accident to file a claim for compensation with New York City. New York State law imposes these requirements on any civil claim for damages made against a municipality or municipal agency. Failure to meet this 90-day deadline means that if you subsequently try to file a personal injury lawsuit against the NYPD or the city, the case will likely be dismissed without regard to the merits of your claim.

The Notice of Claim itself must identify the name and address of yourself (and your attorney), the nature of your claim, and the time and place where it arose. In other words, you need to describe your accident and when and where it happened. You also need to identify the amount of your claim, i.e., how much compensation you are seeking.

After a Notice is filed, the city has the right to require you to submit to a civil deposition about your accident and your injuries. The city may also make a settlement offer during this time. If the city rejects your claim, or you are not happy with any settlement offer, you can then file a personal injury lawsuit, provided you do so no later than 1 year and 90 days after the accident occurred.

Keep in mind, accidents caused by NYPD vehicles are remarkably common. The Police Department manages about one-third of New York City’s entire vehicle fleet. Similarly, about one-third of all motor vehicle accidents leading to claims against the city involve an NYPD car. So you should not feel that you are doing anything wrong by pursuing a claim for damages against the city.

Our NYPD Car Accident Lawyers Can Help You

Whether you were an innocent bystander injured during a police car chase, or an NYPD vehicle simply hit you at an intersection because a police officer was not paying attention, you have certain rights when it comes to demanding the city pay for your injuries and other accident-related losses. Our NYPD car accident lawyers are ready and willing to help. Call Michael Gunzburg, P.C., at 212-725-8500 today to schedule a free initial consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Skip footer and go back to main navigation