NYC Police Brutality & Excessive Force Lawyer
We depend on the New York Police Department to protect our rights and uphold the law. Unfortunately, in some cases, law enforcement personnel fall short of these expectations. In cases involving any kind of brutality, battery, assault, excessive force, or a violation of your civil rights, it is imperative that you consult an experienced New York City Police Brutality Lawyer. We stand ready to help you with your claims, and represent you in Court.
When it comes to law enforcement, all lives matter!
Call to speak to an experienced New York City police brutality and excessive force lawyer at Michael Gunzburg, P.C. today. Find out your legal rights!
When you need a lawyer, get the BIG GUNZ TM
At Michael Gunzburg, P.C., we are dedicated to picking up all of the pieces that police officers have left behind, and ensuring that your Civil and Constitutional rights are fully protected. We have represented many people who have been brutalized or violated by law enforcement, including:
- Police brutality : Verbal attacks, psychological intimidation or the intentional use of excessive — usually physical — force by a law enforcement official. We have successfully represented plenty of clients who have succumb to this unnecessary and inappropriate treatment.
- False arrest: No matter how complex the situation, if you were arrested under false pretenses, you need experienced legal representation. We have also pursued these kind of matters.
- Police assault: If a law enforcement official threatens to do or in fact causes bodily harm to you or a loved one, we will take your case and fight for you in Court.
- Police battery: If a police officer negligently or intentionally touches you and caused serious injury, then we are here to fight for you in Court.
- Police civil rights abuse : Law enforcement should be protecting your civil rights, not violating them.
- Excessive force : There is an appropriate amount of force and there is an excessive amount. Police officers are trained to know the difference. We have successfully represented clients who have been on the short end of the stick or worse, seriously injured or even killed by inappropriate police action.
Unlike many law firms, we take a few select cases involving police and law enforcement brutality, and focus our efforts, time, and financial resources into securing you the most favorable outcome possible. As New York City Police Brutality Lawyers, we are familiar with the laws that govern appropriate police conduct. We also work to secure you the best possible outcome in your case.
At our New York City Police Brutality Law Firm, we tell our clients to spend their time recovering from their incident, while we spend our time prosecuting your case. Our mission is to put our best efforts, time, energy, and financial resources into securing you the best possible outcome.
NYC Police Brutality FAQ
What is Police Brutality?
Police brutality can occur in many forms and it occurs when law enforcement officers use an unreasonable (excessive or unnecessary) amount of force when dealing with people. Examples of such abuse of power include unjustified shooting or excessive use of physical force, a sexual assault, etc.
What is “reasonable”?
Reasonableness is looked viewed an objective standard. This means that reasonable is determined by looking at all of the facts and circumstances confronting the officer at the time and place that force was used. It is viewed from the perspective of a reasonable officer on the scene, not from what is known in hindsight.
Who is liable?
The defendant in a police brutality case is usually the police department and or the City or governmental organization that the force serves, as well as the individual officers involved in the incident.
What type of damages can I recover for in a pedestrian accident?
If you or a loved one have suffered from police brutality or excessive force, then you may be entitled to recover for medical expenses (past, and future), pain and suffering, lost wages (past and future), and other accident-related expenses.
Will the officer lose his job if I win the case against him?
No, a police misconduct lawsuit is limited to monetary damages. However, the police, in their internal investigation, may decide to terminate an officer or exercise some other form of disciplinary action.
Contact Our New York City Police Brutality And Excessive Force Lawyer To Learn More
As New York City Police Brutality and Excessive Force Lawyers, our mission is to give you the best personal service available, communicate with you regularly, and strive to get you the best possible outcome on your case. If you would like to speak directly to us in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and Staten Island, call 212-725-8500 to schedule a free initial consultation or submit your information and questions online.