NYC Obstetrical Negligence and Gynecological Mistakes Lawyer
Obstetrics and gynecology are two separate medical practices often practiced by the same doctor, known as an OB/GYN. Obstetrics deals in issues related to pregnancy, including labor, delivery and post-natal care. A gynecologist, on the other hand, deals with reproductive health issues separate and apart from pregnancy.
Obstetricians and gynecologists can both make medical mistakes that can be harmful or fatal to the patient or a child the woman is carrying. Doctors are held to the standard of care expected of other doctors in the community in their field of specialty with similar education and training. Failing to perform according to that standard, whether through negligence or incompetence, is medical malpractice. Doctors, including OB/GYNs, can be held liable for patient harm caused by their malpractice. In New York City, Michael Gunzburg, P.C. holds doctors and hospitals accountable for the harm caused by their medical errors. Attorney Michael Gunzburg and his team work to find out what went wrong and why it happened and strive to recover significant compensation for clients harmed by medical malpractice.
If you believe you may have suffered from obstetrical negligence or gynecological mistakes in a doctor’s office, clinic or hospital in Manhattan, The Bronx, Brooklyn or Queens, call our NYC obstetrical negligence and gynecological mistakes lawyer Michael Gunzburg, P.C. at 212-725-8500 for a free consultation.
What Are the Most Common Examples of Obstetrical Negligence?
Obstetricians are responsible for the health of the mother and fetus during pregnancy, labor and delivery. Obstetric mistakes include the following:
- Misdiagnosis or failure to diagnose a serious medical condition in the mother or developing fetus, such as a birth defect, genetic disorder, large baby, ectopic pregnancy, or tubal pregnancy.
- Failure to order or delay in ordering a c-section, or negligently or incompetently performing a c-section
- Performing unnecessary surgery
- Improper use of forceps causing Erb’s palsy or facial paralysis
- Excessive force during delivery causing Klumpke’s Palsy, shoulder dystocia, or broken bones
- Birth asphyxia during labor and delivery causing cerebral palsy
- Mishandling birth complications such as the umbilical cord wrapped around the infant’s neck or the baby presenting in a breech position
- Failure to monitor, diagnose and treat gestational diabetes
- Failure to diagnose and treat bleeding or infections in the mother
- Actions or omissions which result in the death of the mother or child
What Are the Most Common Gynecological Mistakes?
Gynecologists treat women from their first menstruation through menopause, focusing on issues related to the reproductive system. Common forms of gynecology malpractice include:
- Failure to diagnose cancer of the cervix, ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids, or breast cancer
- Failing to order a mammogram or pap smear, conducting the exam negligently or incompetently, or misinterpreting the results of the exam
- Surgical errors committed while performing a hysterectomy, tubal ligation, or endometriosis treatment
- Sexual assault
Professional Legal Help With Obstetric and Gynecological Mistakes in New York City
If you believe that you have been harmed by malpractice committed by your obstetrician or gynecologist in New York City, call Michael Gunzburg, P.C. to share your concerns in a no-cost, confidential consultation. We’ll assemble a team to find out what went wrong and why it occurred, and we’ll strive to see you get the right care and compensation for the harm done to you. Passionate about law and compassionate with clients, Michael Gunzburg, P.C. handles medical malpractice cases throughout Manhattan, The Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens. Call 212-725-8500 to schedule your free consultation.